Friday 22 March 2013

Caretakers of the World, UNITE!


Over the past few weeks, I have been busy working on a piece for an exhibition called 'Responding to the Book', part of the 'Word on the Street' section of the Lindisfarne Gospels exhibition which is being held all over the North East of England. The 'Responding to the Book' exhibition is being held at The Holy Biscuit, in Newcastle upon Tyne from saturday 6th April, 2013 for one month.

For this exhibition, I have been working on a 'hooky' mat design using the carpet pages of the Lindisfarne Gospels as inspiration. The piece I am working on, is titled 'Caretakers of the World, UNITE!' As I have done before with my exhibition pieces, I am interested in making an environmental statement, so the sections of the cross are filled with maps of the World and surrounded by enviromentally vunerable images, in a true to time, Celtic design. I have been working with recycled fabric such as blanket wool, coats, jumpers and other clothing.

Here is a photograph of the piece so far, which I hope to finish over the weekend.




No comments:

Post a Comment